Friday, October 20, 2006

Bad ProfessorDog!

First off, let me say that I know it is wrong to cuss out a student in front of the class. Or in any other setting, really, but in front of the class is especially bad because it gives you 20 people who can potentially complain to the Dean and get you fired, rather than just one.

But here's what happened. We were doing a grammar lesson on subject-verb agreement (this is the remedial class at BCCC). My stnadard grammar lesson plan involves me going over a rule or trouble spot, with a few examples, then doing a few questions out of the book out loud (which means I read the question and wait for someone to whisper the answer in the tiniest of tiny voices. Only when I say, "You were right, can you just repeat that so everyone can hear?" will anyone give an answer in an audible voice), then the students do a couple more questions in writing (because it's always the same two or three people who whisper the answers, and I need to know if everyone else knows), and then they write an original sentence or two that demonstrates what we just learned. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but it's also not listening to me drone on and on for hours on end--it's five minutes of lecture, five minutes of participation, five minutes of individual work, lather, rinse, repeat.

Anyway, on this particular occasion there were two young women in the back row who were having a private conversation so interesting that it was not possible for them to stop talking. Besides being rude, this prevents me from hearing the whispered answers during the participation portion of the program. Also, I have a number of students with disability letters saying they should have a distraction-free enviornment during testing, and I figure have people talking during individual work qualifies as a distraction (although not as testing).

My first step in dealing with these matters is glaring. That usually doesn't work, and didn't this time. Next, I say very sweetly, "Do you have a question back there?" Both young ladies gave me dirty looks, and one managed to say, "No," (in a very snotty tone, of course) before turning back to her friend and resuming their chat. Next, I said, "If you'd rather talk than be in class, go outside." Another dirty look; conversation resumes. Then I said, "I'm serious, shut the fuck up or get out."

They did shut up, for about ten minutes.

On Edit: I teach at a community college in Amish country. Our students are not used to hearing the F-word from teachers.

7 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

I think in a college class you are within your rights to tell students to leave. My husband has recently been in classes at his college where students were rude like this. (It's not high school! The classes cost a lot of $$! WTF are they thinking?) And the instructor diddn't quite know what to do. If I were in his shoes, I'd be shocked and speechless, too. If I were a student, I'd be PO'ed at such immaturity and probably tell them to leave myself.

9:33 AM  
Blogger ProfessorDog said...

Yes, telling them to leave is allowed. But the exact words that I used could get me into trouble....

12:12 PM  
Blogger Art Nerd Lauren said...

You dropped the F bomb, professordog?! Personally, we in the fine arts do it sometimes (usually to make a point, not in casual conversation) but then again, they also call us by our first names, so there you go.

10:41 PM  
Blogger hestiahomeschool said...

One of my anthro professors used to use the F word all the time...it was pretty funny because he would always look startled after he did it...he had spent a lot of time in Viet Nam and he still had the mouth of a Marine, but the soul of a very gentle person..

I am teaching a class one day a week now. The kids do not see me as much of an authority figure (you think??) and last week they were talking so much it was hard for me to get my words in edgewise--which I usually don't mind since I teach the class in an open conversation format.
But they weren't talking about Egypt, they wer talking about Play stations..so I told them that when they didn't listen to me it hurt my feelings and made me feel like they didn't care about me, and they immediately shut up.
Of course, they are only twelve year olds...

12:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Professors are the real heroes of the nation. Professors ask us to write my easy essay writing for the purpose the get the good marks in the papers. And they serve the nation in the way that is the best and they make the life of the people who spend their time in reading to them.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When i first read the title of this blog i just remind the time of my school days when i had to face irritating and aggressive teachers. Every child hates his teacher when he insults him in front of the class and legitimate-writing-services.blogspot.com/2016/02/top-essay-writing-services-reviews.html is such a great a cool website that helps us in writing meaningful and comprehensive essays. A good teacher can make the environment of the class cool while a bad teacher can simply destroy it.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that aggressive teachers should be fired from school. Why children should suffer? Or we need smth like teachers reviews website. Like paper help reviews site. So parents will be able to know who is their kid's teacher beforehand.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home