Thursday, November 02, 2006

Unacceptable

So I have this student. Apparently, she has always considered herself very good at writing essays. Being placed into remedial writing at BCMU did not lead her to re-evaluate this particular aspect of her self-concept. Nor did her grade on the first paper that we wrote in class. Or the second. However, when the secoond paper came back, and the grade failed to reflect her unusual skill in the area of essay writing, she did realize that there was a problem. So, after the next class, she came up to the front of the room and said, "Um, I got my paper back, and I saw my grade." Since i had given the papers back, and I knew she was not blind, none of this was new information. "I got ____ out of ___. [Exact numbers withheld] That's like an F. I don't think I can accept this grade."

I've had plenty of grade complaints in my life, but this was the first time one had been stated so baldly. I never know how to handle these things. Finally, I picked my jaw up off the floor and told her that it was not appropriate to inform a teacher that her grade was unacceptable, and advised her not to do it again.

This is where the story gets really funny. She looked at me with complete bafflement and said, "Why?"

I proceeded to explain that it's the teacher's job to decide what is acceptable performance and what isn't. Students do not have veto power over their grades. She looked extremely skeptical about this information, so I added that the immediate consequence of such an ultimatum would be that her teacher would think she was a spoiled brat. Then I asked, "What do you think is the alternative to accepting the grade?" She explained, as if I were a five year old, that the alternative was to go to the head of the English department and tell them that she had recieved an unacceptable grade. I explained that, if she did so, the Head of the English Department would not pat her on the head and give her a cookie and a higher grade. (Fortunately, at my insitution, this is the case. ProfessorDog's Inappropriate Soul Sister TeacherLady is not so lucky.)

I further advised This Student that if she wished to do better on the next paper, taking a draft to the school's Writing Center would be a very good idea, then began industriously erasing the board.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lady Strathconn said...

You know what? You never hear a second grader say that. I love elementary school. Of course, in second grade, they still like school most of the time.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Zoemonster said...

What grade do you teach again? Is it a battle worth fighting? I just blogged on a similar thing today. Tough call. Sometimes it's better to give in. Blasphemy? Mebbe not.

11:08 AM  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Hahahahaha-- that was hilarious!

I personally would have written it as:
She said her grade was unacceptable, and I replied, "Yes, it certainly is unacceptable. That's what "F" means. You definitely need to improve the next time." Timing is everything in comedy.

Oh, wait-- were you serious? I thought you made that up. Well, that certainly was surreal. Apparenly this student is working under the delusion that we assign grades based on how they make the students feel, not as an indicator of mastery. I wonder where she got that idea?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't hear that from students, but I do hear it from parents. Just last week, a parent told me "my daughter will _not_ get anything less than an A". I wanted to ask if he had mentioned it to his daughter because the F she had just gotten seemed to imply she was unaware of this new rule.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Zoemonster said...

I am not sure what grade you teach.. but I dreamed up a pretty good assignment for T'giving.. wild fun and easy on you.. hope you can use it.. uploaded it yesterday.. PS.. wish you blogged more

SL

8:07 AM  
Blogger saintseester said...

I loved this! My worst experience with a student was one who decided that I had something against her personally. Not that her work was all incorrect on the exams, mind you.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Zoemonster said...

You still alive? Heh. I know you are cuz I saw a comment from you on another blawg. Anyhoo, I miss yr ramblings; don't quit!

SL

9:06 AM  
Blogger MissionMerri said...

I realize your jaw fell open with this student, but take a step back. What the student is trying to communicate is that she wants to do well, albeit she needs to find a better way of announcing this diplomatically. I say help her. Help her to become a better writer dont send her off to the acedemic center.Your job is to teach and that means teaching her the error of her ways that you will not change her grade, but you can offer suggestions to help her succeed and give her the time necassary to understand the concepts. You may even be able to inform her that she should rethink how she approaches professors from here on out.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Thomas M. Baily said...

Regulation is a part of our every day lives regardless of whether is individual or company therefore you should understand the actual role and also the function from it. Law is actually everywhere at the office, when we're driving, school and almost every other things all of us do throughout the day. www.aussieessay.org Without understanding it, everything all of us do entails law as well as every choice we make in some manner or an additional law is actually involved. In this particular paper I'll be discussing exactly what law means and which kind of laws as well as role play during my present run.

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home